Surface is a series of tablets fully developed and sold by the mogul company Microsoft. It was announced in June, 2012 by the CEO Steve Ballmer. The integration Windows operating system into a compact portable media device makes Microsoft Surface a true beauty for most consumers. Now there are four versions available; the Surface RT, Surface Pro, Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2.
While some versions of Microsoft Surface tablets have discontinued in the market, the newest ones are still gaining popularity due to its powerful computing features and unmatched mobility. With these tablets, users can play videos anywhere they go. However, it can only read a limited number of video formats including MPEG 4, ASF, MPEG 2, 3GP, and AVI files. If you want to open video with a different file format, you need to convert it first using a Surface video converter.
1. Online Surface video converter (Free online solution)
2. Free Surface converter (Freeware solution)
3. Surface video converter pro (Shareware solution)
Three Ways to Convert Video for Surface Tablets
1. Free Online solution: Apowersoft Free Online Video Converter
For those who don’t want to install additional programs on their Surface, you can use the Apowersoft Free Online Video Converter. This web-based app needs not to be installed and using it is 100% free with no limitations, registrations or memberships required. It supports MP4, WMV, WEBM, DV, SWF, MOV, AVI, FLV, VOB and MKV video formats. And it supports audio files ranging from MP3 to OGG. What’s great about the online application is that you can convert file formats without losing its quality.
Below are the simple steps of how to operate it:
- Open the website and upload the video you want to convert.
- Allow the java notification pop up and choose your desired output format.
- Adjust frame rate, resolution, bitrate and video quality as necessary.
- Hit the “Convert” button and save your file.
This free online app offers a wide variety of resolution ranging from 144p to 1080p. It does not only support Microsoft Surface tablets but other gadgets as well, such as iPad, PSP, PS3, iPhone, Android and more.
2. Freeware solution: Free Surface Converter
On the other hand, users looking for a free Surface video converter can download the “Free Surface Converter“. It requires a minimum CPU speed of 750MHz Intel or AMD while different Microsoft operating systems are supported Windows 7 and above. The Free Surface Converter exports to diverse formats like AVI, MPG, MOV, FLV, RMVB, RM, VRO, MPE, DIVX and many more. Equipped with multithreading as well as batch conversion, this software provides a stable and 300% faster conversion speed.
However, beyond its free and absolutely speedy operation, this Surface Converter does not support all versions of Microsoft tablets. It can only convert files compatible with Surface Pro. Whether this software can really convert video to Surface RT or not still remains unknown due to limited info and application review.
3. Shareware solution: Apowersoft Video Converter Studio
Professionals wanting for an efficient, convenient, fast, stable and totally all-in-one solution that can convert video for Surface tablet should consider the Apowersoft Video Converter Studio. More than just a video converter, this software similarly acts as a subtitle editor, video editor and audio converter. It can convert various video file formats whilst preserving origin quality. If you want to convert high quality movies with resolutions of 720p and 1080p, the shareware is what you need.
The step-by-step guide of how to use this software:
- Load the video file you want to convert by clicking the “Add” button situated on top.
- You can preview the file, take a snapshot, add subtitles or edit it right before conversion.
- Click the “Profile” tab below and choose your desired output format.
- Adjust video settings by tapping the “Setting” button.
- Press the “Convert” button and wait until the conversion process completes.
What makes the Apowersoft Converter distinctive among the others is that you can use the same software to add or edit subtitles directly into your videos. Adding audio files is likewise possible as well as merging different clips into one. Other features include trimming/cropping video, adjusting of video brightness and adding effects and more.
There are many ways on how you can easily convert videos to Microsoft Surface Pro 2, Surface RT, Surface 2 and Surface Pro. Depending on your needs, you can opt for the free online way with no installation required or download a premium tool such as the Apowersoft Converter Studio and take advantage of its free trial.