How to use MKV Converter
MKV Converter is the best software to convert MKV files with subtitles. This MKV Converter can convert MKV to any video or audio formats like AVI, MP4, Divx, DVD Video, MPEG, and WMV. MKV Converter also supports converting videos to iPod, iPhone, Zune, PSP, MP4 player and other digital devices.
After starting MKV Converter Studio, follow these steps to convert MKV video or audio files to other formats for playback on different devices, including iPad, iPod, iPhone, Zune, PSP, and other mobile phones or portable video players.
- Add videos or audios into the program: Click Add button on the toolbar, then choose video, audio files you want in the dialog that opens. The loaded files will be displayed in the file list.
Tips:You can also add files into the file list by clicking File > Add Files… in the main menu and choosing the files you want in the dialog that opens. After the videos and audios are added into the program, all the files are listed.
See the picture:
- Select a file and click File->File Information to check detailed information of the loaded files.
- Click the Destination file to rename the output file.
- Click the Audio Track button to select an audio track if there are available audio tracks in the video file. Or you can add additional audio track from your hard disk.
- Click the Subtitle button to choose other subtitle if there are more selections.
- Edit the video (Optional)If you do not want to do any editing on the video, please skip this step. Select a video, and click the Video Edit button. You can trim and crop the video, change video image effect, or click the Subtitle Setting button to plug in subtitle into the video.
- Select profile: Choose one or more files in the file list, and click to open Profile drop-down list, then choose the profile you want from the classified profile list. Tips:If you’re not satisfied with the default profile parameter settings, you can click Setting button and adjust them in the Preset Editor window.
- Choose destination: Click Browse button under the profile drop-down list, then choose the destination folder for saving output files in the dialog that opens, and click OK button to return to the main window.
- Start Converting: After the above settings, check the files that needed to convert in the file list, and click Convert to start MKV conversion. You can check the progress from the progress bar at the bottom of the main window.
- You can click Stop button to stop the conversion according to your own need anytime during conversion.
- Converting a long video may cost a lot of time. You can check Shut down computer after conversion , and you don’t need to wait a long time to turn off your computer.
The program provides you with a comprehensive video effect editing tool, with which you can edit video image, crop video screen size, and pick out the segments you want from the source video/audio file.
Choose the file you want to edit in the file list, and click Video Edit button on the toolbar to enter into Video Edit window.
Trim Video/Audio File
- Check Enable Trim option.
- Drag the Start Time to control slider to set the start time.
- Drag the End Time to control slider to set the end time.
- You can click up or down button to adjust time by seconds.
- will show total duration you trimmed.
- If you uncheck Trim option, the trim settings won’t be applied to the video.
Crop Video Screen Size
- Check Enable Crop option.
- Move your mouse pointer onto one of the four red solid lines on the cropping frame and drag the crop frame to crop the video.
- Adjust crop area by drag and drop: drag the central and surrounding handles to adjust the crop area. You can drag the area to the position you want with left mouse.
- If you uncheck Crop option, the crop settings won’t be applied to the video.
Edit Video Image
- Check Enable Effect option.
- You can adjust the Brightness, Contrast and Saturation of the video by dragging the sliders.
- You can get a real-time effect preview.
- If you uncheck Image Control option, the effect settings won’t be applied to the video.
- Check Enable Subtitle option.
- If your mkv file has embedded subtitle, then you can check Built-in option and select Subtitle Index to change subtitle. Or you can check Plug-in option and click … button to import a subtitle file from your computer.
- Font (Optional) : Choose a font for subtitle.
- Subtitle encoding (Optional): (Default is your system code page). You can use this option to specify encoding of the subtitle. More information…
- Size (Optional): Sets the subtitle text autoscale coefficient (percentage of the screen size) (default: 3).
- Delay (Optional): Delays subtitles by seconds.
- Position (Optional): Specify the position of subtitles on the screen. The value is the vertical position of the subtitle in % of the screen height.
- Take SnapshotThe program supports taking snapshot at any time during preview to store your favorite video images. Please choose a video file in the file list, and click Play button in the preview window to play the video file. When it plays to the image you favor, click Take Snapshot button to store the current image in the snapshot folder.
- You can click Open Folder to open the snapshot folder.
- You can click Maximize Screen to maximize the Apowersoft media player window.
- Language InterfaceYou can choose from five language interfaces: English, French, German, Italian and Portuguese. You can change Language by clicking Options > Language in the main menu and choosing the Language you want to use.
- Check for UpdatesIf a new version of MKV Converter Studio is available, the program will pop up a notice window for asking you update. You can check update manual by clicking Help > Check for Updates… in the main menu.
Q: How to rename the destination file before converting?
A:Click the Destination file to rename the output file.
Q: How to speed up conversion?
A: There are quite a few factors that influence the duration of conversion:
- The length and size of the original file
- Settings for output files
- Computer configuration
And here are some tips that may be useful for speeding up conversion:
- Click Options> Preferences… to open the Preferences dialog. Find the option for CPU core. Choose the CPU core to use.
For example, if you choose 4 cores, you will own four times speed than ever when converting common audio files.
- Do not make other operations on the computer when converting.
When converting, there is a large amount of data processed, consuming intensive resource like CPU and system memory. So it would be much better not run other programs so that the resource won’t be distributed.
- Make the source file and output file on local hard disk.
If the video you want to convert is on your camera or other device, and you want to put the output video onto your portable media player, please copy the source file to your computer first, and set the output directory on your computer, too, not directly on your media device. After conversion, you can copy the output video to the device.
- The higher parameter (resolution, frame rate, etc) the source video has, the longer it takes to convert it.
Q: How to improve quality of the output files?
A: The output file quality is closely related to the quality of source files and output settings. If the source file is with sharp quality, please select larger value for resolution and bit rate for better quality (but not larger than the original’s). Or you can try the HD formats or formats for Apple TV/PSP, whose default setting values are larger.
And please note that the size for output file would enlarge along with higher settings. The output file quality isn’t better than the original’s. Better is for output contrast.
Q: How can I get 5.1 channels?
A: To export 5.1 channels with high quality, please make sure there is 5.1 channels in the source file at first.
After loading the file into the program, please choose an output format from Profile list and click the Setting button to open Settings dialogue box.
After selecting AAC, AC3 or MP3 in the Audio Codec drop-down list, and if there is 5.1 channels available, you can get the 5.1 channels option in the Channel drop-down list. Otherwise, the 5.1 channels is not available as the output channel.
Q: How to transfer files to my iPhone/iPod/iPad with iTunes?
A: You have to save the converted files on your computer at first, then transfer the files to your iPhone/iPod/iPad via iTunes. Below are some tips on how to use iTunes:
- Connect your iPhone/iPod/iPad to the computer and launch iTunes. (If you don’t have one, please download it from the apple official website http://www.apple.com/downloads/)Click My iPhone/iPod/iPad under the devices, and select the Manually Manage Music and Videos option in the summary window.
- Click File menu and select Add File to Library option to locate your MP3 or MP4 files, then the added files will be automatically classified in the music or films category under LIBRARY.
- Click music or film under LIBRARY, drag the music and film to My iPhone/iPod/iPad. And then click music or film under My iPhone/iPod/iPad, you will see the file in the right list.
Q: How can I know my order whether successfully or not?
A: Generally speaking, once the order is processed, you will receive a confirmation e-mail sent from Avangate. This e-mail which contains the registration information indicates that the order has been processed successfully.
Please look up the order status from the following link: http://www.avangate.com
Q: Why my subtitle is unreadable?
A: Please make sure you selected the correct Font and the correct code page for the subtitles. For more information on what Code page is, please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_page. If you are not sure what Code Page to use, please consult this page which identifies different code pages: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd317756.aspx
Q: How to disable the audio or add additional audio in output file?
A: You just need to click the Audio Track button and select No audio to disable it or select Add audio… to add additional audio stream.
Q: How to get higher video quality?
A: The output video quality is decided by many factors, such as source file quality, output format, resolution, bit rate, frame rate, and so on.
If you don’t mind, please change another format for a try or make the values of resolution, bit rate and frame rate larger.
It takes longer time to convert the video if the parameters are larger. So to get a higher quality will slow down the conversion speed more or less.
Contact Us Any time that you need help while using Apowersoft products, please contact our support team at email@example.com or submit your request via the online form, Our customer service staff will give you a response within two (2) working days.